Wednesday, September 2, 2009

first week in Hengyang

Now I am settled into my apartment in Hengyang, Hunan, in southern China. Though this city is only the second largest city in the province, it is HUGE, especially when we go downtown. Our campus is a bit southward of the center, but it sits just west of the Xiang River. The other day my new team went and had a picnic on the island in the river, which was nice. Night before last the girls on my team went to get a massage. In Hengyang you can get the best hour-long massage ever from a blind man for 35 RMB, about $5.
Today I am getting ready to go to Hong Kong for a couple of days, but I had an interesting lunch experience. I went to the "joint" and asked for them to fry together some carrots, beans, and lotus root. I love lotus root; it's a shame you can't readily find it in the states. The lady served me the cooked dish and a few minutes later came back and said, "it's terrible, isn't it?" "NO!" I protested, "It's delicious!" I finished and paid 5 RMB (less than a dollar for a filling, delicious, and healthy lunch!) to the lady who said, "I'm so embarrassed!" "Why are you embarrassed?" I asked. "Because I cooked so terribly!" the cook said. "You're so modest- It was wonderful, and I'll come again!" I said. And I will. This Hengyang cook was tai qianxu- too modest.

No comments:

Post a Comment