Thursday, June 25, 2009

26 days till July 20!


Only 26 more days till I leave for training in Colorado, and boy am i excited. Last week I visited some friends in Atlanta, including my mentor from last year. She happens to be from Taiwan, so she gave me a new Chinese name. Although I really like my old Chinese name, LuoLan, it is time to ring in a new adventure with a new name: Gu (which means 'valley') RuoLan (which means 'like an orchid'). Chinese names often are attached to great symbolism, and mine is no different. The beginning of my eight year "break" from China, most of 2001, was a dark period, a spiritual "valley", for me-- one that I am very thankful to have distance from now. And, according to a website on flower symbolism, orchids are exotic and graceful, and "represent love, luxury, beauty, and strength." I hope I live up to what my name represents.
This summer I have read a lot of books about Chinese culture and society. The one I'm reading now is called Jesus in Beijing, and it is amazing to think about what my heavenly Father is doing in that country these days. It is a movement like no other, and I am honored to be a part of it. Faith in the one true life-giver is spreading like wildfire in the rural areas-- tens of millions have the same Hope I have, and yet their lives are so different from mine. I look forward to befriending another part of China's population- the urban educated- and seeing them come to life spiritually. Oh, what an experience is ahead of us!
I also have questions of a more practical nature- will the Chinese I used to know come back to me? Will I be able to eat Hunan's spicy food? What will the teaching conditions be like? Fortunately, I have been in contact with my new American teammates, who are GREAT. They also have extensive China experience, and I expect that we will be able to encourage each other during our time serving together. So much to look forward to!
I have a tendency to 'live in the future', so my goal for the next 26 days is to enjoy them as they come. My friend Summer and I are going to L.A. for a few days next week for a 'last-trip-together-for-a-while' trip, so my mind will be off of China for a bit. When I get back, it will be all about preparing and packing!

2 comments:

  1. Caroline, you're going to have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,
    I just "realized" via Facebook that you are returning to China! I am so excited and will be praying for you. Please add me to any update list you might have and I will be checking your blog as well.
    With love, Christy

    ReplyDelete